SCENT DETECTION COURSE 2021 – APPLY NOW!
HOW TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL SCENT DETECTION DOG HANDLER
Intensive scent detection course for motivated dog handlers.
Now also available as an ONLINE course!
WHO IS THIS COURSE INTENDED FOR?
- those who are already working with detection dogs but want to develop their skills as a handler and a dog team
- those who aim to become a professional detection dog team
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE COURSE?
- an easily motivated dog to work with
- basic knowledge of reward-based training on dogs
- high motivation to learn and train
- at least 5 hours for training weekly
- possibility to record videos of your training and to upload them for online -tutoring (phone quality is adequate)
- possibility to take part in online lectures and live coaching
- ability to work in groups
Considered as an advantage:
- knowledge of canine learning theory
- advanced dog training skills
- earlier experience on scent work
The primary course language is English. For Finnish attendees, translation help is offered if needed. (If you are unsure about your language skills, please ask for more details.)
WHAT ARE THE TOPICS ON THIS COURSE?
- scent theory
- reliable indication
- training planning
- self-reflective practice
- effective searching techniques
- operational search pattern planning
- scent discrimination & line ups
- handling skills
- adding new scents
- reliable examination
MEETINGS IN FINLAND 2021:
Our online students will join the meetings via zoom.
All the meeting days are held from 9 AM to 3 PM (UTC +2 EET)
Online meetings are held for the whole group.
All the meetings are held from 5 PM to 8 PM (UTC +2 EET)
LIVE ONLINE TUTORING (Only for online students)
During which every online student will have a one-to-one tutoring session.
Online based tutoring is provided for all the students throughout the whole course.
MEETINGS ARE HELD IN
Dog School Rallitassu’s facilities, less than an hour drive away from Helsinki City. In the case of force majeure, all meetings are held online.
WHO ARE THE INSTRUCTORS ON THIS COURSE?
The head instructor on this course is Karita HÄKKINEN, a professional special detection dog instructor, trainer, and handler who has over a decade of experience on operational scent detection, tracking, and trailing dogs. Karita will coach you through the program.
In addition, there will be several international guest instructors during the course, who will share their knowledge about the detection K9 world. Students are allowed to take part in their public lectures and get personal advice from them.
Guest instructors for this course are revealed at the beginning of 2021.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Record two videos:
- A video where you show two different ways to interact and reward your dog that you are planning to attend the course with. The task needs to be carried out in an environment that is unfamiliar to the dog and has distractions. The video can be up to 2 minutes long.
- An unedited video where you show how your dog is searching. The video must include the start, search, finding, and rewarding. You may use a taught scent (kong/nosework scent/other) or let your dog search for food or a toy. The video can be up to 5 minutes long.
Upload the videos on YouTube, Google Drive, or a similar platform that lets you share videos with links. Make sure that the sharing preferences allow viewing via the link.
Fill out an application to tell briefly about yourself and your experience with dogs and scent work. The link to the application is
The applications need to be sent in on October 18, 2020, latest. All the applicants will be contacted by November 1.
PRICE & TERMS
The price for the course is 3 100 € (incl. VAT)
- 9 months of intensive training
- 7 meetings in Finland
- 3 online meetings
- guidance of multiple international professionals
- final examination and diploma
- (travel, meals, and accommodation not included)
The spots on the course are limited to ensure maximum practical and personal training time for each participant.
The students will train with a rehearsal scent. They will have the possibility to train another scent during the course, which they will provide themselves. Students are responsible for specific knowledge about their final working scent and search environments.
The students will have their final examination during the last meeting, where they will be tested for line ups and search.
All the training and dog handling on this course is reward-based, and we follow the Finnish law of Animal Welfare.
For any further information, please contact info @trustthenose.fi